What is TikiWiki CMS Groupware?
Tiki Wiki CMS Groupware is an Open Source Content Management software, that gives you the ability ,to create, edit, manage and publish web content in a consistently organized and efficient manner.
Wiki:-– A website or database developed collaboratively by a community of users, allowing any user to add and edit content.
A content management system (CMS) is a system used to manage the content of a Web site. Typically, a CMS consists of two elements:
- the content management application (CMA) and
- the content delivery application (CDA).
The CMA element allows the content manager or author, who may not know Hypertext Markup Language (HTML), to manage the creation, modification, and removal of content from a Web site without needing the expertise of a Webmaster.
The CDA element uses and compiles that information to update the Web site. The features of a CMS system vary, but most include Web-based publishing, format management, revision control, and indexing, search, and retrieval.
As you can infer from the name, it’s a wiki: a collaborative bit of technology used to gather information, or an open source dictionary, if you will. Wikipedia is probably the most popular wiki. However, albeit enormous in scope, Wikipedia is limited to what it does for the public.
1. Content Features: – ex: Articles, forums,Image gallery, survey, file gallery etc.
2. Navigation Features:- ex: Category, Modules,Menus, bookmarks.
3. Tranversal features:- ex: RSS- Really Simpe Syndication.
4. Text Area features:- ex: Wiki Plugins, wiki syntax, Copyirght, smiley
5. Administation features: ex: Permission,Theme control, edit css
6. Advanced features: ex: Integrator: Import an external html pages and Pluginsql: display selected queries.
Other features include a wiki engine, news articles, discussion forums, newsletters, blogs, file galleries, bug and issue trackers (form generator), polls/surveys and quizzes, banner management system, calendar, maps, mobile , RSS feeds, category system, tags, an advanced theming engine, spreadsheet, drawings, inter-user messaging, menus, advanced permission system for users and groups, search engine, external authentication, etc.
Why it is better than others?
1. Full featured CMS:- A software application used to upload, edit, and manage content displayed on a website.
2. Inherent synchronized releases :- All features have to be ready at the same time.
3. Tiki Wiki has more built-in features than any other Web applications but MediaWiki doesn’t offer forums, bug tracker, blogs, etc.
4. When Tiki is upgraded, all the features are supported and the upgrade is smooth. In MediaWiki, some of your plugins/extensions may have become abandoned or be incompatible with the new version.
5. In Tiki, you can attach files to a page or use the File Gallery feature.
6. Tiki Wiki uses a database, such as MySQL, DokuWiki uses files for storage whereas.
7. Tiki Wiki has features WordPress doesn’t have for example, a strong wiki engine.
8. With WordPress, some of your plugins/extensions may become abandoned or be incompatible with the new version, When Tiki Wiki is upgraded, all the features are supported and the upgrade is smooth. Tiki uses an all-in-one model that incorporates nearly every feature into the main code base. This design ensure
that upgrades are easy; because everything is released together, there is no fear that an enhancement or fix to one feature will break another.
Where it can be used?
TikiWiki takes the wiki one giant step further: TikiWiki has a feature set that looks like it belongs to a large-scale system. So we can use it for following purposes.
Articles, Blog, Calendar, Charts, ChatContact, Directory, FAQ Featured, Links, File Gallery, Forum, Friendship Network, Gmap, HTML Page, Image Gallery, Live Support Map, Newsletter, Newsreader,Notepad, Personal content, Personal Messaging, Polls, Quizzes, Shoutbox, Slideshow, Spreadsheet, Tasks, Tracker (forms and database generator), User Files, Webhelp, Webmail, Wiki.
How It can be used?
1. Firstly we need to make an account. In admin account, we have all the facilities but in normal registered user only we can create tikiwiki page but can use other features also if we have permissions to do so.
2. Its admin interface looks like this:
Configuring TikiWiki Features
To configure TikiWiki features:
1. Click Admin > Features (the Features page will appear).
2. Check the following features (Blogs, Image Galleries, Articles, Forums,
Surveys, Trackers, Calendar, RSS & Polls).
4. When you finished, click Apply.
Creating a TikiWiki Page
To create your first TikiWiki page:
1. Access your practice TikiWiki site.
2. Click Wiki>Create on wiki page.
3. Give your new page some content by typing in the following: “I have
created a new page.”
4. When you have finished, click Save.
Creating a TikiWiki Category
Categories are ways of classifying TikiWiki objects (blogs, image galleries,
articles, polls, forums, wiki pages or file galleries). It is the ideal way of
organizing the content of your TikiWiki. You can define an unlimited,
hierarchically organized set of categories that can function like a table of
contents. Users can then browse (and find things quite easily) by categories.
To create a TikiWiki Category:
1. Click Admin > Categories.
2. Select Top (or choose an existing parent category if you’re creating a
3. Enter My Category for your category’s name.
4. Enter “This is my tutorial category” as your description (if necessary).
5. Check Assign permissions automatically.
6. When you have finished, click Save.
Creating a Blog on TikiWiki
TikiWiki’s Blogs feature enables users to enjoy all the best features of
weblogs (including RSS output, trackback pings, and remote posting via
Blogger-compatible programs, such as w.bloggar), but without the hassle
(and, often, the expense) of using commercial blogging services.
To create a new blog:
1. Click Blogs > Create New Blog.
2. Enter “My First Blog” as the title of your new blog.
3. Give a brief description of what your new blog will be about
4. Set the specific parameters you want for your new blog.
5. Click Save.
Similarly you can use another features too.